Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Salaams from Luxor, Egypt

Today we visited the bazaar which is just like a regular market in any foreign country where the people harass you to come into their stores and sample the wares. My mom and An would tease fellows trying to sell saffron by the pound with their almost purchases. Saffron is expensive I hear. 20 cents for 1 gram of saffron is good I hear. Anyways, it's pretty to look at.






Me, I'm just looking for an awesome Pharoah hat, but sadly nobody could point me to one despite several store owners coming to my aid, unsolicited. Good times!

Food is marvelous here. I decided that I love falefelas. And schwerma. Though on the boat, we're served mostly bread stuffed with bread. For the entree, it'll be something light on carbs like pasta, served on bread. Woot! Ooh at McDonalds (we only visit this place when abroad) they have a McArabia - basically a chicken filet inside pita bread. Mmm mmm I'm lovin' it!

Happy New Year party people! We danced the night away on top of our cruise ship until about 3am and then promptly passed out since it was about 6 hrs after our normal bedtime. I was in a good place with my 2/3 of a mojito.






Okay we're off to another temple - a huge one called Karnak. Apparently we're going there by horse carriage. Here come the smelly times yea yeaah!

3 comments:

ranyee said...

Happy New Year! This Ph.D. is really getting to your head! Now you think you are fit for pharaoh's hats?

meish said...

that saffron looks beautiful!

good luck on the pharaoh hat search. ooh, you can be Ramses II for Halloween this year.

anhtuan said...

Ranyee: Maybe I can convince people that the Ph part means I'm a pharaoh. This can only be helped with a hat.

Meishya: Sadly, we left without a pharoah hat. Fortunately, Universal Studios made such luminary hits as The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, and The Scorpion King which means the search for a pharoah hat continues here this weekend in LA. Stay tuned!